Today, we welcome Margaret Donaldson, founder of MDI Interior Design based in Charleston, South Carolina. In this episode, Margaret shares her 35-year journey of design from the birth of her business and first child almost simultaneously to the evolution of her design studio, which is currently 17 team members strong.
We also discuss the value of team culture and the importance of collaboration among peers and Margaret shares some valuable examples of how she has created a work environment for her team that is a place of trust and learning.
We wrap up with a teaser about the fifth annual Design Biz Retreat, promising more insights and industry tips for our design community! Don’t miss out on this episode that shines a light on the heartbeat of a thriving design business – its people.
- The importance of creating a family-like work culture that fosters growth, learning, and support among team members.
- Embracing “The Ideal Team Player” virtues.
- “Sip and See” tradition, a post-project reflection that celebrates teamwork and informs future projects with lessons learned.
- The shift in workforce dynamics and the need for continuous training and adaptation to retain young talent.
- Margaret’s advice on team building, leadership, and the significance of providing a safe, nurturing, and educational work environment.
Follow and Review:
We’d love for you to follow us if you haven’t yet. Click that purple ‘+’ in the top right corner of your Apple Podcasts app. We’d love it even more if you could drop a review or 5-star rating over on Apple Podcasts. Simply select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” then a quick line with your favorite part of the episode. It only takes a second and it helps spread the word about the podcast.
- Website – https://margaretdonaldsoninteriors.com/
- The Ideal Team Player – https://www.amazon.com/Ideal-Team-Player-Recognize-Cultivate/dp/1119209595/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1PJ3KK3VRTNS3&keywords=the+ideal+team+player+book&qid=1701301012&sprefix=the+ideal+team+player%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-1